Sunday, June 6, 2010

Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP)

Definition of VoIP or Voice over Internet Protocol
--------------------------------------------------
Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) is a general term for a family of transmission technologies for delivery of voice communications over IP networks such as the Internet or other packet-switched networks. Other terms frequently encountered and synonymous with VOIP are IP telephony, Internet telephony, voice over broadband (VoBB), broadband telephony, and broadband phone.

Involvement in VoIP
------------------
Its started at the year of 2002 in my new company that I joined.I was given a task of handling a Dial-Up and VoIP.Its was my routine job to be done all day long.At 1st its was really bored jobs handling Dial-up and I passed it to my teammate and I fully took over VoIP case from my teammate.

At that time the connectivity was using a VoIP RAS(Remote Access Server) from CISCO.

The simple flow are Lane Line/Handphone(Caller) --->Telco Exchange--->Our RAS--->Other Telco Provider--->Recipient.

Its involved me almost 2 years doing that before I been transferred to a new department but its still interesting.I learn a lot from my gurus at Level 3.

After 5 years at the other department I now came back to a Enterprise department that handle VoIP but this time it much different .I have to handle from A-Z for this Cisco IP Phone Call Manager that widely used by my company.

At the year of 2009 we migrate all our VoIP system from Cisco to Session Initiation Protocol (SIP)using a Avaya system.That doesn't mean we totally scrap our Cisco IP phone .We just upgraded the firmware of the Cisco IP Phone that can comply the SIP Server.

By this SIP Server I can manipulated my WIFI phone with Internal Wifi capable VoIP services.This part is most interesting..Free called..!!! har har har ..LANCIT RULEZZ>...!!!


I also do have a soft-phone installed in my notebook that support a SIP protocol :D This mean I can call where ever I be as long its got an Internet Connection >:)

Lastly my home VoIP device that connected to my SOMA Wireless Broadband.Most of my friends love this.Its used a Linksys PAP2 adapter.

See how I love very much of this VoIP Technology.. har har har :*



Below is the Brand and the Phone that I used :-

3CX Soft-Phone
==============


Cisco IP Phone
==============


D-Link Wifi Phone
=================


Linksys PAP2 Adapter
====================

1 comment: